Wednesday, March 26, 2008

2007 Competition Results Grade lV Sr.

Here are the Competition Results for 2007, I made three of the five EUSPBA sanctioned Games in 2007 that I registered. In Grade IV Sr. 2/4 March, placed 93rd out of 213 registered competitors with a First Place in Richmond. And Grade IV Sr. Piobaireachd, 86th out of 147 competitors with a Second Place in Williamsburg. Although, only the top six are awarded points, my score sheet in Southern Maryland had an 8th place(don't know why), two places down from getting any points . This was my first competition, I did not enter the piobaireachd.
I will have to play the tunes in competition form the day before the games. Tunes should be played a few times and address any issues. Besides Southern Maryland Games, I did not play my pipes the day before the games and it showed in the results.

The phrasing in piobaireachd is very important, I sing the tune while playing rather than going on auto-pilot which results in lack of expression. The same applies to the 2/4 March, once the technical issues are addressed, expression will bring the tune out. What does expression means? The notes are held in full value, some all the way to the edge of the note value. The expression used by my teacher is,"if you think you are wrong in holding the note, you are probably right". Again, she is correct, holds and cuts are extreme without sacrificing the 16th notes(cut) so the next embellished notes, doublings, grace, throws etc. are on the beat. Tempo should be even throughout. The phrase endings and beginnings should be distinguished, like reading, a period ends the sentence with a pause and moves on to start another one.

We have decided to continue "Prince Charles Welcome to Lochaber" for the 2/4 March. The "Siege of Delhi" still has technical issues and will not be ready till the end of the year or nextyear. For piobaireachd, a new tune, "The Marquis of Argyll's Salute". I like this tune a lot, lots of difficult embellishments but very inspiring. The "The Little Spree" will be my alternate tune from last year, although, I would not mind playing it again and see if it places higher than second place.

The first competition for 2008 will be on the 26th of April at the Southern Maryland Games. This this will be quite exciting, many pipers competed last year. My band will be competing in the afternoon. Our new cat which was raised a kitten loves the practice chanter and the pipes. He still tries why the pc makes a sound and stays close when playing the pipes.

No comments: